Welcome to Kristie Argot's blog about Web 2.0 tools in the classroom!

Welcome to Kristie Argot's blog about Web 2.0 tools in the classroom!

Friday, June 25, 2010

Wikis in the Classroom

In my district, I am encountering resistance to using wikis in my classroom. When I learned about wikis, I had high hopes of using them with my students to promote technology and peer interaction. I was told by the technology supervisor that I could not use wikis. They were worried about the open access of editing and commenting. I started a classroom wiki, like a webpage this year. This year, I disabled the discussion section and made it private, only I could edit the wiki. I am not sure if I ruined the purpose of wikis? Next year, now that I have more ideas, I am going to try discussing using a wiki with my principal. Hopefully she can help me with the technology supervisors.

1 comment:

  1. With wikispaces, you can set it up in such a way that only you have control over certain pages, and only members you invited (your students) can access certain other pages. None of the pages have to be truly public. If wikis are a no go at your district, consider google docs. That allows for student collaboration on text, without any of it being public at all. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete